Dates of interest

Easter dates

 OrthodoxCatholic
201420 April.20 April.
201512 April.5 April.
20161 May.27 March.
201716 April.16 April.
20188 April.1 April.
201928 April.21 April.
202019 April.12 April.

Languages

Search:

Info & Trivia

Trivia

  • A hen requires about 24 to 26 hours to produce an egg. After the egg is laid, the hen starts all over again about 30 minutes later.
  • The chef’s hat, called a toque, is said to have a pleat for each of the many ways you can cook eggs, traditionally there are 100 folds.
  • The white of a large egg measures about 2 tablespoons’ worth of liquid, the yolk is about 1 tablespoon.
  • Yolk colour depends on the hens’ feed. Natural yellow-orange substances, such as marigold petals, may be added to light-coloured feed to enhance colour. Artificial colours are not permitted.
  • Most eggs are laid between 7 and 11 in the morning.
  • Eggs are a source of omega-3 fats (healthy fats), which can have significant benefits for the heart and blood vessels.
  • The inclusion of maximum 6 eggs a week is part of a balanced diet.
  • Eggs are kept at their freshest when stored in their cartons, in the fridge.
  • Egg protein is both high in quality and low in cost. Eggs have the highest quality protein of all food sources.

Information

Egg Anatomy

1 - The egg shell

Is rigid but brittle, it protects the contents of the egg it has up to 17,000 tiny pores. About 98% of the shell consists of calcium carbonate. Magnesium and phosphorus make up the other 2%.

2 - The shell membranes

Enclose the yolk and white of the egg, and prevent bacteria from entering the egg. These membranes are strong and are made partly from keratin. The outer membrane sticks to the egg shell while the inner membrane sticks to the albumen.

3 - The blastodisc

AA small, circular, white spot on the surface of the yolk which looks like a slight depression on the surface of the yolk; it is actually the channel leading to the centre of the yolk in order to be fertilized.

4 - Vitelline

Or yolk membrane is an elastic membrane which covers and protects the yolk.

5 - The air pocket

Or air cell after an egg is laid, it cools and the inner shell membranes pull away from the outer shell membranes at the blunt end of the egg, causing an air cell or pocket to form. As the egg ages, the air cell becomes larger.

Albumen

Is a clear jelly-like substance which makes up 58% of the weight of the egg it contains more than half the egg’s total protein and none of the fat.

6 - Albumen Thick Layer

Albumen Thick Layer of white immediately surrounds and acts as a cushion for the yolk. It provides the major source of riboflavin and protein, in this layer there are the chalazae.

7 - Albumen Thin Layer

Albumen Thin Layer is the second layer from the shell (egg white) and spreads around the thick white of the egg.

8 - The yolk

Makes up 31% of the total egg weight and consists of water, fat and protein as well as vitamins (a, d and e), and minerals. The colour of the yolk is determined by the hen’s diet.

9 - Chalazae

Are two spiral bands of tissue that suspend the yolk in the centre of the albumen, the function of the chalazae is to hold the yolk in place. Prominent chalazae indicate egg freshness.



Cooking tips

  • Perhaps you don’t know that eggs we find in shops are also graded by weight:
    • XL — very large: wt. ≥ 73 g
    • L — large: wt. ≥ 63 g / < 73 g
    • M — medium: wt/ ≥ 53 g /< 63 g
    • S — small: wt. < 53 g
  • Eggs should be cooked until the white is completely firm and the yolk begins to thicken.
  • For testing egg freshness you can immerse a raw egg in cold water or in a cold brine solution (12% cooking salt) - the fresh egg falls to the bottom while the older egg floats (because of the large air cell that forms in its base).
  • Hard-cooked eggs can be refrigerated within two hours of cooking and used within one week.
  • Something about boiled eggs: the fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to remove the shell; the older the egg, the easier is to peel it.